Running with Scissors


by Augusten Burroughs
4 out of 5 stars
Audiobook

This "memoir" or whatever it's supposed to be was way more dark and shocking than the cover or even title might suggest. It's all a little hard to believe at times, but who am I to say. Meanwhile, I found Burroughs' voice and style of storytelling to be extremely compelling even while being turned off by the entire sequence(s) of events that made up the early part of his life. I listened to this book, read by the author, and enjoyed that format quite a bit. I think it might be a little easier to stomach than reading, actually, because Burroughs has this almost humorous tone, as if he's telling a long joke and you're waiting for the punch line -- only the punch is kind a gut punch -- not too hard, but forceful nonetheless -- that leaves you a little breathless but still OK with having experienced it, because it wasn't really meant to hurt you, rather it was to get your attention.

Note: This book is not really a comedy, though it's been classified as such. It's also not a true memoir, from what I've read, because not all of it's true. I don't really care about that -- I also enjoyed James Frey's books regardless of the "scandal" that came out afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment