Orchid Beach


by Stuart Woods
4 out of 5 stars
Audiobook

(Publisher's synopsis)
"Forced into early retirement at thirty-seven, smart, attractive, and fiercely independent Major Holly Barker trades in her bars as a military cop for the badge of deputy chief of police in Orchid Beach, Florida. But below the sunny surface of this sleepy, well-to-do island town lies an evil that escalates into the cold-blooded murder of one of Holly's new colleagues."

Great story and characters by Woods, as usual. His books are always a decent read, and I really liked this new character. Daisy (the doberman) is pretty awesome too. I don't want to give anything away, but the tail end of this book was quite shocking (to me), and I totally didn't see it coming. It left me feeling kind of sad and betrayed ... like, Hey, Stuart, was that really necessary?! However, I enjoyed the writing more than enough to read subsequent books in the series, all of which are a great escape. Woods always weaves tidbits from his own life and interests into his books, including his love and knowledge of flying and handguns (!). And I get a vicarious thrill out of the travel, wining, dining and other activities of the wealthy so often portrayed in his work. I am so in the wrong business.

If you've read any of Woods' other books, particularly the Stone Barrington series, you know that most of his female characters are either two dimensional or he kills them off. Holly Barker is an exception. Maybe Woods isn't a total misogynist after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment