
by Suzanne Collins
3 out of 5 stars
Audiobook
(This is the third book in the trilogy)
Certainly it was a good read (listen), and satisfying to have closure, as it were, though I felt a little let down/disappointed overall.
I suppose the author's battle is always to paint what's realistic vs. what's going to make this story awesome, and I felt there were a few missed opportunities to make this more awesome than it could have been -- without actually losing the necessary bleakness and reality of how shitty humans really can be to each other.
The good people seemed real, the evil people a little too surreal, so for me this wavered between feeling like a novel and a comic book at times. And while our heroes had good reason to be mentally anguished, I got a little tired of the hopeless feelings and emotional shut down. Shutting down was valid, yes, but not so interesting to read about!
No comments:
Post a Comment