An Echo in the Bone


by Diana Gabaldon
3 out of 5 stars

As this series goes on, the books could use a bit (OK, more than a bit) more editing. There was a LOT to slog through -- I almost gave up a couple of times. Overall, I love the series, but seriously...way too much rambling off into tangents that we never see again about people and historical events I just don't care about. And there were some pretty major loose ends as the last book drew to a close that were very disappointing. It was almost as if the publisher said, "Time's up! By this date, you WILL BE DONE WRITING, regardless of where you are in the story!" and that's where things ended up.

That said, her first book, Outlander, is among my top ten favorites, and subsequent books in the series were totally engrossing. Echo in the Bone is #7 in the series, and it's getting a little tired. This was supposed to be the last, but, probably as a result of not one but four story lines with abrupt endings in one book, #8 is on the way (not out yet as of this writing).

I reread the whole series before tackling this one, and I'm a bit exhausted and fairly disappointed. But I'll probably still read #8 and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment