
by David Nicholls
5 out of 5 stars
I can see why this book was made into what seems to be portrayed as a chick flick...but don't let that deter you. I suppose it's a bit of a classic love story; it's got both humor and tragedy, but it's also about real love (how difficult it can be) and how fate or whatever you want to call it is so easy to skew, creating the ultimate missed opportunity (or not) and perhaps fucking up your destiny (or not). In that regard, I'm not sure how I'd classify this book. And does it need to be classified?
Before starting to read it, I wasn't sure I'd like the way the story unfolds -- it's told in alternating points of view over a span of twenty years on July 15th of each year (St Swithin’s day) through Emma's and Dexter's 20s and 30s and into their 40s. But it works. The "snapshots" might detract a little bit from feeling like you're really getting to know the characters and what's going on in their lives, but it didn't bother me. Mostly I just really enjoyed the writing and witty dialogue. There were many instances of mini mental epiphanies when I thought, "SO true!" or just laughed at the cleverness of it all.
As far as Dexter and Emma go, they are both decent people and at times kind of likable, even though they have their flaws (especially Dexter, who is basically a hot mess). Those who didn't like the book probably didn't like the characters or understand why they might be drawn to each other. I kind of felt they were kindred spirits and, really, who can explain chemistry? For whatever reason, they love each other, and it's a little frustrating that they don't see the obvious, but the reasons they don't (or don't do something about it) are believable.
You don't need to listen to this book to hear the British inflection, which also added quite a lot to the humor and charm of the story. There are aspects to One Day that were heart wrenching (to say the least – some reviewers were quite pissed off about it), but I don't want to give anything away. Again, it's life. There are many great lines in this book, but I think one of my favorites is: "Live each day as if it’s your last, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that?"
No comments:
Post a Comment