Outlander


by Diana Gabaldon
5 out of 5 stars
Audiobook

To be fair, after almost panning book #7 in this series, I felt I should post a review of the first book, which is among my top 10 favorite books of all time.

Like all of the books in this series, Outlander is really long. But long is good in this case, because you don't want it to end. I love books like that. It was originally classified as a romance, I think, but it's really a lot more original than that. It's got romance, adventure, history...oh yeah, and TIME TRAVEL!

Here's a partially plagiarized synopsis (because as I think I've noted, I hate writing synopti):

Claire, a World War II combat nurse, is an English woman in her late 20s on a vacation in Scotland with her husband. It is post war, and they are getting reacquainted after years apart. During a hike, Claire stumbles into a mystical stone circle that transports her to the same spot in Scotland, only it's 1743. She's found and taken in by a band of Scottish men who are in the midst of a battle with some English soldiers, and she helps nurse one of them - Jamie - after he's injured.

An outlaw and a warrior, Jamie is just so cool, and of course he and Claire fall in love. So the story goes on from there, detailing life in Scotland at that period, and the many adventures Jamie and Claire find themselves in. Both of these characters are extremely likeable, as are others in this book/series. Gabaldon also paints a wicked villain and does a good job of spicing things up with quirky people, historical idiosyncrasies, religious influence, and even some issues society still can't handle today, including sexuality, polygamy and witchcraft.

Yes, these books are gargantuan pieces of historical fiction mixed with fantasy, some very steamy erotic stuff and the occasional gruesome torture scene. They are also addicting. And did I mention the time travel?

Case in point: With what we might consider rudimentary medical training by today's standards, Claire's nursing skills allow her to becomes an 18th century healer with enough effect that she's both revered and accused of being a white witch.

Gabaldon's research is extensive, and she writes dialogue (complete with various brogues and accents that you can hear in your head) that totally sucks you in.

Note: I've listening to all of these books but one, because the contracted narrator, Davina Porter, is PHENOMENAL. Treat yourself to the audiobook next time you've got a long drive or to while away your commute. You'll find yourself hoping for red lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment