Dearly Devoted Dexter


by Jeff Lindsay
3 out of 5 stars

I'm almost done listening to this and enjoying it more than the first. Dexter seems to have "come into his character" more fully, so it's my hope that the series continues in this vein. Wow, that sounded stuffy. In short, it's like he's a vampire with a soul...a sociopath with a conscience. What's not to fascinate?

Update: Recently finished this and plan to order #3 from the library...I'm beginning to think the "soul of a sociopath" is captured much better in the books than the TV series.

On the plus side, sister Deb is a little less annoying in the books than she is on the TV show, and Rita plays a much smaller role (which I like, because she drove me nuts on the show). The "dark passenger" as a character, while a little preposterous, is captivating, and I almost wish he/it was fleshed out more. There's not a lot of back story about why Dexter has this alter ego -- yes, he experienced a horrific trauma as a child, but lots of kids suffer horrible trauma and don't end up as sociopaths. I will add that the presence of the DP gets explained, if you can call it that, a little more in book 3. At any rate, the series holds my attention enough to fill time during my commute, and I'm still intrigued by my propensity to root for the vigilante murderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment