An Object of Beauty


by Steve Martin
3.5 out of 5 stars
Audiobook

(Notes before I finished)
So far, I'm enjoying this and Martin's writing. It's not terribly fast moving, but it's about an interesting subject (the NY art world) and one I might not have chosen to read myself had someone not highly recommended this book to me. I'm listening to this on my iPod during workouts, so it's in short bursts, but it's definitely holding my interest and attention. The reader is pretty good too. I never knew Steve Martin was such a good writer, and his knowledge and/or interest in art is impressive!

(later that same season...)
I finished this book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys character study and learning something new in a novel. It's not action packed by any stretch, but it affords an interesting peek into the art (and art collector) world both pre and post 9-11. The main character is actually not very likeable at all, and you never really get a feel for what makes her tick, but Martin's writing and the way he describes scenes, and his use of art and the city as "characters" are well done, IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment