The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing
by Melissa Bank4 out of 5 stars
There are three ways to start this review, and I’ll share
them all, because I can’t decide.
1.
This book has nothing to do with hunting or
fishing, and there’s actually only one tiny metaphorical reference to it in the
whole book.
2.
Don’t read the publisher’s book jacket, because
it makes this book sound like shallow chick lit, and it’s very much not.
3.
Reading this book is like meeting the kind of
person that you just fall into an easy friendship with—at first you don’t even
give it much thought; you just start hanging out, making plans, sharing meals
and inside jokes. You might even take the relationship for granted a little
bit. Then one day you suddenly realize, OMG, I’m in love! That’s what protagonist
Jane Rosenal and her quirky friends and lovers do for this book, and that’s
kind of what the book is about too.
From the books’ start when Jane is 14 on through her
adult years, she’s just kind of going along, living her life and wondering
about what love and happiness are, what they look like, and how she’ll know
when she finds them. She’s got her fair share of insecurities, but she’s also smart
and plucky, she’s kind of a smart ass, and her humor is both her defense and lure
(there’s a fishing reference for you). It’s also a delight for us as readers.*
As she faces the challenges of career climbing, dating an odd spectrum of men (she’s at her best with Archie, who’s 20+ years older and seems to “get” her the best but doesn’t make her happy), messy and non-messy breakups, family drama and family illness, and her own mortality, Jane becomes someone you root for and end up missing when the book is done.
The writing is mostly first person except for one chapter
that’s not (?). I’m not even sure what it’s called, but you’ll know it when you
see it. I can’t say any more, or it would be a spoiler. And there’s also one
chapter, also first person, but from a neighbor’s perspective, and it’s very
odd and random and has nothing to do with Jane, like maybe it was from another
book and got stuck into this one by mistake. Seriously, I can’t figure that one
out, but it’s short, so I just shook my head and moved on. (But if anyone
figures that out, let me know!)
*After a date with Archie:
The only movie he wanted to see
was Key Largo at the revival house on
Eighth Street. Afterward, walking out, he told me that while Bogart was dying,
Lauren Bacall slept with Frank Sinatra. “Don’t ever do that to me, okay, honey?”
I said, “I don’t even like Frank Sinatra.”
I said, “I don’t even like Frank Sinatra.”
See what I mean? That’s so funny!

No comments:
Post a Comment