by Adam Rapp
2 out of 5 stars
Having read a couple other of Rapp's books with happy results, I was looking forward to this one, though I was probably a little biased by the gnome on the cover. That gnome led me astray.
I'm not going to go too deep with a review, because I wasn't able to finish the book. Though a foray into Rapp's writing is generally a fun way to tickle your brain, I spent the first half of this book waiting for something to happen, and nothing really did, so I gave up. The chapters are rather disjointed, so there's no real story flowing here, and the guy in this book (we never learn his actual name) is such a dufus; the situations he gets in and the BS he puts up with from his disgusting roommates...seriously, who really lives like that? You graduated from college, but you can't figure out how to not dress like a schlub? Or make friends? Or buy normal groceries? And it's really OK that your non-rent-paying pants-eschewing roommate just shit in front of you WHILE you were trying to get the toilet to work? No, it's not. Wash your damn laundry, kick the manky freeloading dirtbag off your couch, and spend some time outside of your own head so you can actually get to know people. That's my advice to the people in this book. Who I realize aren't real. But still. It had to be said.

No comments:
Post a Comment