Little Bee

by Chris Cleave
4 out of 5 stars

The connection(s) these two woman have is almost too much to believe for a relatively sheltered middle-class white reader, but it's definitely a reminder of the horrific events and human rights abuses that are still going on in this world that, despite our instant access to information, goes widely unacknowledged. That said, I did enjoy the story, which is both dark and funny in spots -- thanks in large part to the comic relief of a little boy who thinks he's Batman, right down to the caped costume he wears pretty much 24-7. There is a fair amount of foreshadowing and suspense in the story, but it's not the good kind of suspense, it's the kind that makes you peek through your fingers. I don't really like feeling that way, but I think it was probably necessary, and it made for a better unfolding than plopping it all in front of you to be horrified at all at once. This is the kind of book that book clubs will want to read and then discuss over lunch and lots of wine. Which I support.

No comments:

Post a Comment