I'll Give You the Sun

by Jandy Nelson
5 out of 5 stars

Yes, 5 stars. This is YA/teen fiction, so of course it's a little Vampire Diary* schmaltzy at times. But if we're honest, I think even us jaded grownups can still be and enjoy being a little schmaltzy, if just in our own heads (never out loud of course). That said, I LOVED these kids, I loved their relationship, I loved their artistic expression (especially Noah's), and I really, really enjoyed Nelson's descriptions of her characters' feelings, their art, their conflict, the surroundings, and even the supernatural-ish twin stuff. If you can listen to this book, do it; I think it helps the dual perspectives, and the readers are excellent. Like a lot of teen fiction, the grownup characters have less dimension, but it didn't bother me. I think that's pretty much how teens view adults and their parents anyway. I may listen to this again, just so I can re appreciate some of Nelson's prose and the many moments when a sentence passed through my brain and I thought, "RIGHT?!" and "Oh that's brilliant -- so perfect..." and, "Wow...am I a dork for thinking that's really beautiful?" The answer is probably yes, but I don't care -- it gives me hope that maybe I'm not as jaded as I thought.

*If you're a fan of Vampire Diaries, then you know what I mean...but no, this book has nothing to do with vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment