5 out of 5 stars
I don’t give many 5-star reviews, but this is another book I really enjoyed and hated to finish. It reminded me a lot of Ready Player One, another top read on my list of faves, though the story, while still a quest, is quite different. If you love books (and bookstores), quirky cultural references, great characters and nerdy, lovable heroes, you’ll probably get a huge kick out of this story. Also, just as an added bonus, the book cover (at least the hardcover edition) GLOWS IN THE DARK. Something I discovered by accident one dark and stormy night. It kind of scared the bejesus out of me, truth be told.
So the usually handy synopsis on the jacket doesn’t do this book justice, other than it really is a literary adventure story for the 21st century. Kind of. Because there are also lots of fun historical references – some obvious, others not so much – throughout, and the role that the seemingly quaint art of typefaces (as well as typeface creators) plays is also wonderful. It’s also kind of an ode to literacy and books, so while it may be tempting to read this on a Kindle or listen to the audio version, I recommend the old-fashioned page-turning way, so you can actually enjoy the tactile thrill of turning the pages...because it is indeed a page turner. Sorry, I couldn’t resist working that in.
Lastly, I’ll just say, without any kind of clever transition, that author Robin Sloan obviously had a lot of fun writing this book, and his prose, while masterfully spun, humorous and tight, is also quite deliberate. From little details, like the name of our hero Clay’s nemesis’ front company, to Clay and his best friend's loyalty to the literary idol they bonded over in sixth grade (think Dragonlance Chronicles), plus fringe characters’ seemingly mundane areas of expertise, Sloan seemed to effortlessly weave all of the elements together, so everything and everyone matters and, at some point, they all come into play. And who doesn’t love a description like: “Her home is the burrow of a bibliophile hobbit.” or
This girl has the spark of life. This is my primary filter for new friends (girl- and otherwise) and the highest compliment I can pay. I’ve tried many times to figure out exactly what ignites it – what cocktail of characteristics comes together in the cold, dark cosmos to form a star. I know it’s mostly in the face – not just the eyes but the brow, the cheeks, the mouth, and the micromuscles that connect them all.
Kat’s micromuscles are very attractive.
Final thoughts (takeaways): Festina lente – make haste slowly – and remember, "There is no immortality that is not built on friendships and work done with care." --Clay Jannon, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment