The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

by Rachel Joyce
4 out of 5 stars

This story is kind of Anne Tyler-ish, which is a good thing. I actually enjoyed the characters more than I have some of Tyler's characters lately, which is an even better thing. It's not terribly fast paced or action packed, but it's an entertaining study of fragility and strength, and how sometimes these two things go together. The only problem I have with books (or movies) like these is the expectation that I, as a reader (or viewer) will willingly accept that people are this simple minded and so lacking in introspection. Is it really true, or is this just a literary technique I'm not aware of? At any rate, the gentle, unlikely hero, Harold, makes a literal and metaphorical journey while his emotionally dead wife, Maureen, who is a hero in her own right, does the same. How their paths eventually (re)converge and rekindle a 40-some-year marriage is sweet and, thankfully, not neatly tied up with a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment