by Peter Heller
4 our of 5 stars
I did really love this book, but dang, it was at times SO ANNOYING to
read. I see other reviewers commented on this, so I don’t think I’m
being unreasonable in expecting authors to please STOP with the
“artistic” lack of grammar and, hey, let’s just not even bother with
quotation marks. I mean, WTF. Is this a trend now? No punctuation? Never
letting your readers know when someone is actually talking vs. thinking
to themselves? I think you can still be true to your character and
impart mood and angst and whatever other emotional setting that’s needed
without driving your readers completely bat-shit crazy. If you want to
be all creative and exercise your poetic license, write a fucking poem.
Preferably a short one, because shit like this? Really, really annoying:
For the dog he said. Angry. Because I didn't do my job. To him.
But.
Honestly. WTH.
That
said, there were other sentences, paragraphs, and whole chapters that
were absolutely beautiful. Which is a nice juxtaposition to what was
happening in the story: namely, a super flu has wiped out most of the
population, so it’s every person for him/herself. That would be bleak if
it weren’t for the fact that Hig and his
ex-military-NRA-freak-on-overdrive neighbor are living in Colorado on
what you have to admit is a pretty sweet homestead, all things
considered. So again, great contrast and character study, not to mention
gorgeous scenery in an ominous setting. It’s like there’s a veeeerrrry
subtle undertone in a minor key running through this whole story, so you
really feel the underpinnings of loss and despair even while you’re
also thinking, “Honestly now, this doesn’t sound half bad!”
One
thing that bothered me is the assumption that the majority of humans
left have turned into marauding sociopaths, and society has gone all
Lord of the Flies. Yes, people can suck, and we see evidence of soulless
asshats acting on their base instincts every day, but I dunno; I’d like
to think that even in the face of such adversity, the instinct of most
people might be to come together. Form alliances. Or at least not kill
and eat each other immediately without, you know, a little conversation
first.
So despite my criticisms, I still highly recommend this
book. It’s a great escape, contains some beautiful imagery and
survivalist adventure while still being a thought-provoking study of
love, loss, hopelessness and hope, and also flying. The flying parts are
great!

No comments:
Post a Comment