The Fallback Plan

by Leigh Stein
4 out of 5 stars

I thought this was going to be a light, funny read...and it was at times, but there were also some deeper bits, and I found myself admiring Stein's writing like I would those "big name" writerly types like John Irving or Ann Tyler...if Ann Tyler or John Irving wrote a blog and posted things on Facebook.

Twenty-something Esther has moved back into her parents' house after college with a bad case of Weltschmerz (her diagnosis). In other words, she already world weary and apathetic...or maybe just depressed, hard to tell. At any rate, she's got no drive, but her droll observations and recollections of how she got to where she is are hilarious.

Without giving too much away, she reluctantly takes a nanny-ish position for a family that has lost a child, and as she gets more and more involved with each family member, the book takes a more serious and thoughtful turn. The little girl she cares for is possibly my favorite character -- I wanted her to be more involved in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment