Snowflower and the Secret Fan

by Lisa See
4 out of 5 stars



If you were ever put into time out or even spanked as a kid, this book will make you grateful that something that was presumably "for your own good" didn't involve physical mutilation or selling you to the highest bidder. The degree of physical and emotional abuse that children, mostly girls, endure in the name of culture and tradition is tragic (I know...understatement of the year). It is almost a character unto itself in this story, but much less triumphant than the ways this little girl endures, survives and draws you into her world. And her relationship with her friend is sweet, touching, and delicately strong like piano wire. It's a really, really different and fascinating read that gets a little otherworldly and spiritual at times, but not so you'd roll your eyes. My mom gave this to me to read while I was recovering from knee surgery and trapped in a passive motion machine for 8 hours a day. I think she was trying to send me a subtle message to "suck it up, it could be worse." It worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment