by Dave Lowry
4 out of 5 stars
At times it felt like the author was trying a little too hard to make his characters clever, and I agree with others who felt there was a distinct lack of character development overall, but this was still a fun read with likeable peeps and really mouthwatering descriptions of food, behind-the-scenes views of Chinese cooking and, as an added bonus, a little martial arts to boot. OK, the martial arts bits were not mouth watering, they were just entertaining. The fact that our hero is Caucasian is also a pleasant twist, especially when he artfully navigates his way through (or against) Chinese culture and tradition both in and out of the kitchen. Lowry is a journalist and food critic, and this shows in his writing; his knowledge of the Chinese language(s), the restaurant scene, and nuances of food prep and technique are really interesting. What I missed were mental and emotional details that drew the two main characters together as well as any real depth to the personalities of the supporting cast. Also, the diamond thief part of the plot seemed a little far fetched and not very fleshed out, but what do I know. I usually order sesame chicken at Chinese restaurants too.

No comments:
Post a Comment