Son of Stone


by Stuart Woods
2 out of 5 stars

OK, I think I may be officially done with Stuart Woods now. Once again (spoiler alert), he killed off another love interest of Stone's, but not before giving her ovarian cancer, an abusive ex lover and an illegitimate son. Nice. Seriously, this guy really seems to hate women and has a very hard time creating believable characters. The "son" (who turns out to be Stone's) is a genius, handsome, sweet, unspoiled by wealth or his movie-star upbringing, and seems not to notice or mind that his mom is not only loose, but kind of an idiot. In other words, like father like son, he's ridiculously perfect, and he agrees with every saccharine "life lesson" lecture Stone imparts. For some reason, the dialogue in this book struck me as more forced and affected than usual, but then again, the guy sells a lot of books, so who am I to say? I think good old Herbie Fisher is becoming my favorite character, but even he's on a path that's pointing to straight and narrow. (sigh) I will say the book held my interest enough to finish it, but it was definitely a let down, and when I was done, I was left wondering, "Well what the hell was that all about?" Whatever formula Woods is using needs a tune up. Even James Bond is more human than Stone Barrington. But let me tell you how I really feel...

No comments:

Post a Comment